Oak Grove is located at 39°0'15" North, 94°7'42" West (394181, -94.128299)1.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 12.6 km² (4.9 mi²). 12.6 km² (4.8 mi²) of it is land and 0.1 km² (0.04 mi²) of it is water. The total area is 0.41% water.
The 2015 estimated population of Oak Grove is 8,052 people. The racial makeup of the city is 94.5% White, 1.1% African American, 0.7% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, and 3.5% Hispanic or Latino. There are 2,894 households with an average of 2.75 persons per household. The average income for a household in the city is $62,239. Per capita income for the city is $22,492. View the complete report (PDF).
Historic Oak Grove
The former settlement of Lickskillet was incorporated in 1881 as Oak Grove. Back then, it consisted of approximately 40 acres with a population of 280. Today, the Oak Grove City limits have expanded to include over 3200 acres (5 square miles) of land and encompass parts of Lafayette County as well as Jackson County. There are several new housing developments being constructed with others in the planning stages.
- The first post office was opened on July 25, 1840 bearing the name of Oak Grove.
- The town was laid out by William E. Frick. At the time of incorporation there were 11 stores, a school, church, livery stable, mill, post office and hotel.
- Thomas Vermillion was the first mayor; he had been a Confederate soldier.
- In the early 1900's, Oak Grove held horse shows that drew nearly 10,000 people and 250 entries in 40 categories.
- C&A Railroad arrive in the 1870's; the depot was not torn down until the 1960's.